T'all lifts

> However, the info I have isn't quites that simple. The IH 4x4 front spring
> is 42" OAL, and the axle is not centered on it. The C-C dimensions are
> 23.5" in front of the axle and 18.5" in the rear. A '72 Chebbie 4x4 front(I
> have one) has 44" OAL springs, 24" front/20" rear. I do not think that even

The axle position is close.. 24" back vs. 23.5" from the front spring
point..

> drop in the IH frame at this location. The stock Chevy springs also have a
> good 1" less arch than the stock IH springs.

*nod*  And they're probably not as stiff as the IH springs, which puts
us into the lift-spring arena, where we wanted to be anyways.

> The application for the '73-97 is p/n86206, 46.9" OAL, 3.72" free arch, at
> 520 lbs/in. This would appear to be a drop in replacement(w/different
> spring eye bushings) for the IH 2WD spring which is 46" OAL with a centered
> axle. That takes us back to the concept of moving the rear spring/shackle
> mount back to the 2WD location and having lots of lift spring choices.

Good plan, and probably where I first heard this theory..

Allan W. runs the 2wd springs on his 4wd converted 1210.  A difference
of an inch could be made up with shackles, or even a little MORE
creative relocation of the rear spring mount to match the springs.

But SOMEONE has to get a bunch of lift kit leaf springs and figure out
what works and what doesn't.. though the cheapest route would be to buy
some reasonably tall lift springs (six inch? More?) for the front,
install them, see how much it actually nets, and just buy the
appropriate length blocks for the rear to match.. cheaper/easier than
mixing n' matching rear springs to match the front.. BUT, I think a FULL
set of lift springs would yield the better ride and overall a "better"
idea.. but I know it'd be a PITA to figure things out.. on the pickup it
wouldn't be so bad - the IH and Chevy pickups are probably comparable in
rear-weight.. but not-so with a Travelall, which should have a lot more
rear weight than a pickup, and probably more than a Suburban or Blazer.

Me? I just want some 3/4 T springs to stiffen up my 1/2T Travelall, so
the day I *do* get a car trailer, it won't be super-squishy.. I want it
to be low to handle well while towing.. besides, I need to have
SOMETHING I can use all of my 235/75R15s on!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout