spotlights, T-all lifts again

>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:33:21 -0400
>From: "Chris and Ranae Procyk" <procyk19@domain.elided>
>Subject: Options
>
>The A-pillar mounted spotlight on my friend's '75 TA has IH embossed right
>on it.  So even if it was put on by a dealer, I can't see how it wouldn't
>rate right up there with the coolest options.

I'd have to agree. I have an IH branded roof mount spot waiting to go on my
B-102 p/u if I ever get around to painting it again. It's a Unity brand,
and instead of the little Unity medallion riveted to the bezel there's an
IH 'tractor man' logo. Very cool :)

>Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:56:31 -0600 (MDT)
>From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>
>Subject: T'all and Pickup lifts
>
>For those interested in Travelall and Pickup suspension lifts...
>
>Take a look at a mid-70s (OK, 73-87) Chevy pickup.. I believe the springs
>are the same width, and within 1/2" in length, as the pickup and
>Travelall.  And "No one" makes a lift for THOSE! HAH!

This was one of my first thoughts when I started this whole investigation.
However, the info I have isn't quites that simple. The IH 4x4 front spring
is 42" OAL, and the axle is not centered on it. The C-C dimensions are
23.5" in front of the axle and 18.5" in the rear. A '72 Chebbie 4x4 front(I
have one) has 44" OAL springs, 24" front/20" rear. I do not think that even
an extended set of shackles will accomodate the extra 2" length due to the
drop in the IH frame at this location. The stock Chevy springs also have a
good 1" less arch than the stock IH springs.

The dimension sheet I have from an old Rancho catalog shows the p/n 41054S
for the '72 application, which is 43.57 free length(although the diagram
shows flat length, somewhat confusing) w/2.86" free arch(from the top of
the spring pack) and a spring rate of 720lbs/in. That makes sense based on
my measurements, altough the offset dim's column is blank on the
chart(typo?) and there's no way that's going to equate to a 4" lift as
claimed in the application listing.

The application for the '73-97 is p/n86206, 46.9" OAL, 3.72" free arch, at
520 lbs/in. This would appear to be a drop in replacement(w/different
spring eye bushings) for the IH 2WD spring which is 46" OAL with a centered
axle. That takes us back to the concept of moving the rear spring/shackle
mount back to the 2WD location and having lots of lift spring choices.

I'm curious what the stock spring rate on the IH's is....anybody? I don't
have time to build a test fixture these days, an engine test stand is ahead
of that on the long term projects list ;)

Jim