RE: the gold box

Tom wrote:

> But, doubting Thomas that I am.  I don't beleive in any "cure in a can"
> type of treatments for anything, even though I've had some of them work -
> every once in a while.

Agreed.  And before I try something like that again, I'll wait for the
long-term results!

Years ago (before Slick 50) I used a well-regarded PFTE product in my Probe
GT.  It's called Tufoil.  I don't know if they still sell their additive for
engines anymore, but they sure have a fantastic lines of lubricants for
bikes, general household use, etc.

Anyhow, I'd put this in my Probe, and my shifting would be off!  It was
actually *faster* with this material.  I didn't expect this outcome, it was
a real surprise to me.  I couldn't measure it, but I knew my car very well,
and I knew it was different.  Fortunately, however, I didn't use it that
much (too lazy I guess).

Years later I used Slick/50 in my mercedes diesel, which later died a
premature death at 160,000 miles due to poor compression (try starting a
diesel with poor compression at 10 degrees!).  Those MB diesels last 250k
miles commonly.  Mine was perfectly cared for.  Later on, I read that
Slick/50 can accumulate, block oil passages, and result in increased wear.
Arg.  They ought to put a stinkin' surgeon general warning on the stuff.

ken farmer