More brake booster questions

IH everyone!
  I am still having problems with my power brakes.
 To recap: On a recent trip I had some brake problems,
they didn't want to 'boost' my braking power. I pulled
the vacuum connector off the booster and the 'right
angle connector' broke off in my hand. I removed the
connector and simply shoved the vacuum hose into the
rubber grommet on the booster.
  I now know that the connector is a vacuum 'switch',
and went to a local partso house adn replaced it.
  But....
 My truck still only will give me boost when first
applying the brakes.
 I attached my handy-dandy vacuum pump to the booster
(shoved a large connector onto the rubber grommet) and
pumped....to no effect. In other words, I could not
get any vacuum reading from the booster.
 Is this the proper method to test a booster?
Advice appreciated,

===
Russ D.
'73 Scout II 304