Re: Gold Box

Tom:

Funny you should mention the bulkhead connector problem as being realted to
Gold Box problems.  I think you're on to something.

Years ago, I was having what I now know were problems with my bulk head
connector.  It was so bad, that the starter would engage all by itself:
Sitting in the driveway, or driving down the freeway.  But, it wasn't
consistent.

It took me six months or more to diagnose and fix.  AND, I had more than
one "professional" mechanic look at it and each suggested a different
"cure".  The crux of my story is, that during that time I had that bulkhead
short, I ended up unecessarily replacing the alternator, burning out two
brand new sets of halogen headlamps (expensive ten years ago) and frying a
gold box.  It wasn't until getting on this digest and finding out about the
"commonality" of the bulk head problem that I also reflected back on my
records and realized that that was also probably the cause of frying the
gold box and burning out those new headlamps. Along with causing my
mechanic to insist that I needed a new alternator when I didn't.  And, who
know how it affected my ammeter since it used to "peg" that and then make
it fluctuate wildly.

Tom H.