the gold box

Hey guys,
I'm new to this IHC digest thing, and I was wondering if you could help
me.  I got a 1976 Scout II, 345ci, 727tf. When I bought it, it wasn't
running cause parts of the distributer and the ecm was missing. Well i
found the parts in a junkyard and got the thing running (after
replacing the flat-lobed cam and worn lifters, it runs like a champ!).
My worry is with the ECM; I don't know how long that thing will last,
and I don't want to be dead on the road in a couple weeks.  Can I
replace it with a MSD 5 or 6a, or would I have to change the
distributor if I wanted the MSD?
thanks,
-Mack