Re: the gold box

At a recent NATO press briefing, Aaron McEwen <usafa_drumline@domain.elided> was
heard threatening Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic...

>I'm new to this IHC digest thing, and I was wondering if you could help
>me.  I got a 1976 Scout II, 345ci, 727tf. When I bought it, it wasn't
>running cause parts of the distributer and the ecm was missing. Well i
>found the parts in a junkyard and got the thing running (after
>replacing the flat-lobed cam and worn lifters, it runs like a champ!).
>My worry is with the ECM; I don't know how long that thing will last,
>and I don't want to be dead on the road in a couple weeks.  Can I
>replace it with a MSD 5 or 6a, or would I have to change the
>distributor if I wanted the MSD?
>thanks,

Mack,

The Holley distributor IH used with the gold box will *not* directly connect
to an MSD ignition system by itself.  As a matter of fact, that distributor
will not connect *directly* to any aftermarket ignition system.  I would
recommend one of several things...

1. Get a new gold box if you feel uncomfortable about the condition of the old
one.  These are available new at most auto parts stores for about $45.00 to
$75.00... so shop around.  This is your cheapest alternative.  The gold box
ignition system is really quite reliable, although it can be ruined by leaving
the ignition key in the run position without the engine running for an
extended period.  If your engine dies, shut the key off or restart it!

2. Buy a rebuilt IH points distributor (pre-75) (trading in your electronic
model as the core) and install a Pertronix Ignitor.  This is a small
electronic module which replaces the breaker-points inside the older points
type distributor and essentially turns it into a reliable self-contained
ignition system.  The rebuilt distributor will cost about $100.00 to $150.00
and the Pertronix Ignitor will run about $65.00 delivered via mailorder.
Personally I don't trust a lot of the distributors available rebuilt from
"Cardon"... they don't call their stuff "Crapdon" for nothing.  My experience
is that their rebuilt distributor look nice, by they don't do much to test or
set the advance curve, etc.  It's a real hit and miss with them.

3. By an aftermarket Mallory Unilite distributor.  Mallory offers a special
order Unilite to fit IH engines.  It will operate your ignition system as is
without the need for an additional ignition module.  Others on the Digest (who
have them) can verify the price, buy I think it's in the $250.00 range.

Others will disagree with me on this, but my opinion is that you should avoid
wasting your money on elaborate MSD and Jacob's ignition systems without first
taking care of the system you have.  Buy a spare gold box, a high quality set
of plug wires, maybe a new super-stock coil, some platinum plugs (I like plain
old Bosch platinum plugs), new cap and rotor and you'll be all set.  The gold
box system is just fine as is for a stock engine.

I now regret paying all the money I did for an elaborate MSD 6A system with
variable timing control when any performance gain was very matricidal to
non-detectable (over my perfectly functioning stock ignition system).  I'm
currently using a points distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor alone in my
Scout and I love it.  If anyone wants to make me an offer for my complete MSD
system, let me know!

Good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |"I don't care if you think it's your right.
Conservative Libertarian        | I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had
Life Member of the NRA          | enough as a nation. You are not allowed
WA Arms Collectors              | to own a gun, and if you do own a gun
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | I think you should go to prison.
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |        -- Talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell