Re: Subject: Cooling System Questions

Parts book says one set of tubes is used for both the 304 and 345.  The
difference in deck height probably isn't enough that the ends of the
pipes can't accommodate since they're slip fittings with o-rings, I
believe and the pipes run fairly horizontal so it's just a slight angle
at the joint to make up the difference.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 15:06:29 -0700 mike d ryan <fly4scout@domain.elided>
writes:
>>Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:57:39 -0700
>>From: "Jim Hannon" <jhannon@domain.elided>
>>Subject: Cooling System Questions
>>
>> One thing in particular is the coolant tubes the run from the pump to
>>the heads along with the retaining clips that hold them to the heads.
Can
>>parts like this be bought at a Navistar dealership or do I needed to
start
>>digging in the local junk yards. I would think that they would still
carry
>>parts for the motors because of their wide use, but it has been a
while. By
>>the way the motor is a rebuilt 345. I don't know if the tubes are
different
>>between the 304 and 345. Any info is welcome.
>>Thanks,
>>Jim Hannon
>
>Jim,
>When I rebuilt my 345, I didn't have the tubes either.  I went to
>Navistar and purchased both tubes new and in stock for around $70
>total.  The ones I found in junk yards had the ends rusted away more
>than I felt comfortable with.  I think the new ones came with the
>rubber o-rings as well.  As for the clips, try to find them used.
>Navistar wants something like $8 each for them.  I used the wire brush
>on my grinder to clean them up, rebent them to original position,
>painted, and installed.  The new tubes fit my old block VERY tightly
>with no leaks.  I believe the 304 and 345 use different tubes, since
>the block height is taller on the 345.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]