t-case troubles?

OK, next on the project list for my Scout...
  I will be putting in the spare 4-speed I have along
with the Dana 20 that is on the way, but it may be a
while before I actually get them into the truck (want
to clean/inspect/reseal them first.
  I finally played with the current single speed
t-case today at lunch and have some concerns:
  BTW, this Scout did not originally have a single
speed case, the knob is routed to the transmission
cover plate not the dash. The PO had another Scout and
never used the 4wd on this one.
  I locked the hubs (felt 'some' resistance turning
them, i.e. they didn't spin loosely) and then pulled
the knob. When I drove forward after that I felt no
difference from normal driving. Reverse was the same.
  Looking through the trans cover hole I could see the
front drive shaft turning both when engaged and not
engaged. Is this normal?
  Why would I not be getting into 4wd? Bad hubs? Bad
t-case? Other?
All advice appreciated,

===
Russ D.