Re: t-case troubles?

LATE BREAKING NEWS: Russel DeArman <russde_93@domain.elided> wins the 40
million dollar lottery and says:

>  Looking through the trans cover hole I could see the
>front drive shaft turning both when engaged and not
>engaged. Is this normal?

If the front *hubs* are locked, the front driveshaft will turn when the
tires turn... regardless of what the transfer case is doing.

>  Why would I not be getting into 4wd? Bad hubs? Bad
>t-case? Other?

Here's how to tell if you are in 4wd... *unlock* the front hubs, put the
xfer case in 4wd and *then* see if the front driveshaft is turning.  If
it's turning, it means the transfer case is doing it because the hubs are
unlocked.  Make sense?

If that test works, then you can go ahead and lock the hubs and know you're
in 4wd!

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |"I don't care if you think it's your right.
Conservative Libertarian        | I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had
Life Member of the NRA          | enough as a nation. You are not allowed
WA Arms Collectors              | to own a gun, and if you do own a gun
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | I think you should go to prison."
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |        -- Talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell