RE: Wagonmaster Shock Mounting

Michael wrote:
> So put some blocks back there-if I'm only trying to raise about an inch
> or two, are there any other changes I'll need to make?  For such a small
> lift, no worry about driveshaft is there?

First off, let me make a caveat.  Michael, I have less mechanical experience
than you do.  Ok, now that that's off my chest...I don't think you need any
changes.  Er, other than longer u-bolts.  Your springs have probably sagged
that much anyway.  I've read of a few other things to watch out for - like
get full-sized blocks.  Other than that, it's probably the simplest lift,
with the only problems being the possibility of axle-wrap (which I think
would probably be minimal with your vehicle), and the possibility that a
block would slip out (which is minimized if you get a block that fits
properly).

> Also, what about air shocks?  If I had dual mounts put on each side,
> would the air shocks offer enough lift to make a difference?  And should
> the rear-ward tilted one really be THAT far rear-ward?  It really
> doesn't have very much of a vertical plane to it at all.

I wouldn't go with air-shocks unless you are looking for a variable lift.
Like, if you were to tow a heavy boat or camper.  They are expensive (like
around $500), and fully inflated (for the lift you are looking at) they will
be too stiff.

BTW, I've got some RS/9000s in my Travelall, and they are working great for
the variable thing.  I've got them on soft right now, and will be tightening
them up when I tow my camper.  For that matter, I also have a pair in my
Scout, but just leave it on soft for the back all the time.

ken
pharmer@domain.elided