Re: A little more info on problem

The aliens commander decided Russel DeArman <russde_93@domain.elided> would
make a perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>  the guide says with the key on, the (+) terminal of
>the coil should have full voltage. I got 13.1.

OK... I follow that test and it makes perfect sense.

>  Next to pull the wire from the (-) terminal, run a
>jumper wire to ground from the (-) terminal, and check
>the voltage again. I got 3.9, the manual (not IH
>specific) said anything under 5v indicates a bad
>resistor or resistor wire...
>  What does this mean to me/and how do I check this?

I'm sorry , but you lost me on this one.  You're saying you disconnected
the distributor wire and then connected a jumper wire from the negative
terminal of the coil to an engine ground... with the ignition key on.
Where exactly did you measure the 3.9 volts?  From the negative terminal or
from the positive coil terminal?  If you measured the voltage from the
negative terminal, I'd fully expect such a low reading (if not less).  If
the you took the reading from the positive terminal, then the voltage drop
would depend on the resistance of the coil... I think!

Please explain a little better what you were doing.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |"I don't care if you think it's your right.
Conservative Libertarian        | I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had
Life Member of the NRA          | enough as a nation. You are not allowed
WA Arms Collectors              | to own a gun, and if you do own a gun
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | I think you should go to prison.
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |        -- Talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell