Distributor Wiring

I don't think you can go from the manual or any diagram as to where the
wires are supposed to route, after 20 years in someone elses care.  The
firing order will remain the same, but the plug orientations can differ
greatly.  My suggestion is to rotate the crank by hand, until you find top
dead center.  This is when you will feel the air being pushed out of the #8
sparkplug hole, which is the passenger's side rear.  Make sure that the
timing marks indicate TDC, then remove the distributor cap and see where the
rotor is lined up, this should be the #8 plug wire.  Then follow around the
dist cap with the firing order.  When I rebuilt my 392 I installed the
distributor, and thus the cap, the way that would lend itself to the ideal
plug wire routing (for my application).  If someone were to refere to the
service manual or any other scout, to determine which terminal on the cap
was which, they would be grossly mistaken.  Just my $0.02 worth.  Find TDC,
then determine where #8 is by the rotor position, then go around the cap in
the firing order.

Epp