A little more info on problem

OK, over lunch I went home and dug out my multi-meter
and trouble shooting guide.
  the guide says with the key on, the (+) terminal of
the coil should have full voltage. I got 13.1.
  Next to pull the wire from the (-) terminal, run a
jumper wire to ground from the (-) terminal, and check
the voltage again. I got 3.9, the manual (not IH
specific) said anything under 5v indicates a bad
resistor or resistor wire...
  What does this mean to me/and how do I check this?
TIA,
Russ