Re: Claire rips Rosie a new one!

Greg;

I'll have to agree with your 'required IHC content' statement here.

I work in a municipal transit office. We are a division of the "traffic"
department. As such, I am constantly made aware of news stories, public
opinion, etc, related to traffic and transit issues.

One of the common themes I see from time to time in these stories,
especially every time the subject of pollution and/or oil scarcity comes up,
are "attack" stories on the prevalence and popularity of SUVs in today's
U.S. auto market. At first, I noted that these attacks were mostly from
spokespersons from environmentalist organizations. But, over the last year
or so, this has taken a turn. They are coming from many quarters now, even
physiatrists who jumped on the bandwagon of 'foolish feelings of safety
based on brute size'. It seems that anyone that does not have or does not
like, SUVs is getting riled about their existence and calling for
"regulations", limitation or outright bans. The furor is getting louder and
now the Feds have even decided to make SUVs comply with all safety and
emissions requirements of an automobile, although they had considered SUVs
"light trucks" in the past and regulated them under that category.

The point isn't whether SUVs are safe; should meet the same standards as
cars; are gas hogs; or, are even appropriate for people to drive to the
grocery store. The anti-SUV folks have made many valid points in my mind and
I personally have only used my Scout as a 'second' vehicle, for hunting,
wheeling, camping and emergency use when a car is out of service. The point
IS, that Americans, more and more, are wanting to tell everyone else what to
do, what to own, how to act in so many areas. It is starting to get scary!
You don't have to live in a 'homeowners regulated' enclave to be feeling
this anymore. Many of you on the list have seen the recent postings about
attempts at the state legislative level to limit the number of cars and
trucks people have on their property, etc.

Well, for those of you that have no stake in any "gun bans", etc. Think
again! The same folks who go after guns will go after hunting (this is
starting already) as soon as they get their way with firearms. Then, they'll
go after fishing (don't laugh, I've seen evidence - Why should we allow
fishing in National Parks, they are there for the protection of species and
enjoyment of all of us, not the killing by a few. Besides, how would you
like it if someone put a hook in your mouth and pulled you all around and
killed you?) They have already started on SUVs. Old cars - ala IHCs - are on
the "list" of the banners in CA. They think getting everyone into a new
Honda will solve all of our air pollution problems. And, I fully agree! As
long as they want to buy one for each and everyone of us, make mine an EX
with leather, V-6 and full power controls. :-)

I think you all can see my point. And, I'm sure if you reflect on this you
will see examples in your own life, especially on the local and neighborhood
level. It has become a passion with some, to ban the things that others
enjoy. And, I don't care how liberally you interpret the constitution, you
can't claim that this is what the most government supporting of the founding
fathers had in mind for America. It is the antithesis of what made this
country great - FREEDOM! Hell, it took us almost a hundred years and a civil
war after the Constitution was ratified to get rid of that evil of all
institutions known as slavery, how long is it going to take us to get these
"anti-everything" busybody folks to crawl back under the rocks they came out
of?

Tom H.