Re: first SUV, 4x4 conversion, B series trucks/lockers

On Tue, 11 May 1999 07:24:47 -0700 "J. Grammer" <jkdaley@domain.elided>
writes:

>Early C and D series woody wagons(1936 - 1940) have a serious claim to
>being the first SUV's from the IH end of things. They weren't 4 wheel
>drive, but how many F#$% Exploders are 2wd(lots)? These were station
wagon
>bodies on real truck chassis, and were marketed specifically as Sport
and
>Utility vehicles. Literature of the day shows them used as 'station
wagons'
>for passenger/supply delivery to commercial lodging, sportsmans
>transportation for hunting expeditions, and many other
personal/commercial
>combination uses.

The woody wagons were conversions of IH truck chassis that were
advertised and marketed by IH, much as the Midas Scout conversions were
more recently.  There were numerous speciality body companies that did
this sort of thing, building complete bodies for some cars as well.
Names I have seen for the IH conversions include M.P. Moller,
Baker-Rauling, Burket, and Cantrell.

The first IH built-Travelall--all metal--appeared in late 1952.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]