first SUV, 4x4 conversion, B series trucks/lockers

>remember, the first "SUV"s were the ch*vy suburban and dodge carryall.  I
>belive the travel-all came in the 50's.

I know this has been beat to death many a time, but I've never put in my $.02.

Early C and D series woody wagons(1936 - 1940) have a serious claim to
being the first SUV's from the IH end of things. They weren't 4 wheel
drive, but how many F#$% Exploders are 2wd(lots)? These were station wagon
bodies on real truck chassis, and were marketed specifically as Sport and
Utility vehicles. Literature of the day shows them used as 'station wagons'
for passenger/supply delivery to commercial lodging, sportsmans
transportation for hunting expeditions, and many other personal/commercial
combination uses.

>Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 23:57:57 PDT
>From: "Brad N" <ih_binders@domain.elided>
>Subject: Can I???
>
>Hello Group,
>

>   Was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can convert a 1964 T'all 1000
>2x4 to a 4x4 setup?  Can I use the Dana 60 (rear) and Dana 44 (front) off
>any years of T'alls made?  Can all these changes be mated to a 3 on the tree
>(manual) and 241 straight six?  Does anyone out there want to trade
>(straight across) a 241 Straight Six motor for a 304 to 345 V8?
>
>  Brad

Lots of good comments so far, I'll just add that the torsion bar front end
frame is really completely different from the leaf sprung trucks. And yes,
I'd be happy to swap a 304 in running condition or a 345 builder core for a
running 241 any time. I'm also looking for 3 speed trannies with the B/W
electric overdrive....my stuff's in San Luis Obispo, CA.

>I was at a farm auction a few days ago and bought a '59 B110. When I was
>bringing it home, I noticed a sticker on the dash daying that it was equiped
>with a power-lok diff. I am wondering what kink of diff this would be. It
>looks like a full floater.

Powr-Lok question has been answered. I'll add that what IH called the 'No
Spin' diff was a Detroit Locker :)

>I bought the truck simply because it was selling to cheaply. But the truck
>has a very heavy frame, and it looks like I could put an axle under the
>front without too much trouble. I am thinking of mounting a post pounder on
>the truck and using it for fencing on the farm.
>
>Any info about these trucks would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Cam Dingwall

I've had a regular driver ranch truck B-102 for about 7 years now. What do
you want to know?

Jim
Bindertown USA