Carburetor questions (Edelbrock Performer 1405)

So, I hook everything up, put in oil, and water.  The engine is turning over
easy when I crank it.  It has been prelubed.  I got spark at the sparking
plugs.  I'm pretty sure it's timed right, as I followed the instructions.

But it will not start.  I notice that when I stroke the accelerator linkage,
no gas is jetting out of the primary jets, or the secondaries.  I filled the
bowls up using a funnel and a hose into the fuel inlet, so I know there is
gas.

I'm using an Edelbrock 1405 carb.  It seems to me, I should see a jet of gas
coming out every time I crank the accelerator, right?  What could be wrong?
The carb worked up until the engine blew up...but it has been just sitting
around for several (ie 10) months.

I suppose I could just get a rebuild kit, but I was hoping someone'd have a
simple suggestion.  The floats seem to be floating free so the needle valves
are free.

Any suggestions?

Roger Scow
78 Traveler/392E/727