Re: Towing questions

On towing:

Those of you that know my "near death" story while towing a horse trailer
also know I'm kind of in their with David when it comes to towing: Theorem:
Most folks are willing to overdo it with no real understanding of the
possible consequences. Corollary: And, once you find out you've over done
it, it's too late!

But, I thought of all of our tow and tow weight ratings and U-haul limiting
what you can tow on one of thier dollies on my way to work this morning.

You see, I travel a heavily commuted, no shoulder,  two lane, through an ag
area that has many undulations. It, as many like it, was once referred to
as "blood alley" because there were 12 fatal head-ons in one year there.
People take stupid chances trying to go 65 or even 80 and pass on the
hills. This has been "corrected" by allowing the CHP to use VASCAR (radar
inside their car), imposing double fines, using "radar speed trailers" and
seriously enforcing the no-passing and 55 MPH speed limit laws.

Anyway, I'm on my way to work this morning and a I see a Chevy p/u coming
at me, with what looks like, another Chevy pickup on it's side, right
behind the first. When it close close enough, I realize what I have is a
Chevy truck, towing another Chevy truck. Only, they are using a U-Haul tow
dolly and the p/u being towed is too wide for the dolly. So, these fools
have the driver's side front wheel of the truck on the dolly wheel
platform, but the passenger side wheel of the truck is SITTING ON THE
DOLLY'S FENDER!

I don't think I have to explain to anyone on this Digest what the stupid
implications are of trying to tow one pickup with another and this setup.

They say that technology surpased the common man sometime back in the 30's.
And, they say, new  technology continues to be developed at a constantly
doubling rate such, that the sum of all human knowledge is now estimated to
be doubling every 5 years.

You put the two together and you get foolishiness such as the towing
situation I described above.

Tom H.