D44 rear bearing replacement

Hello All.

I've got a rumbling coming out of my D44 (79 SII) rear
end
and I suspect bearings.  Rumbles become noticeable
when turning
tight or hitting a bump (weight shift onto either
side).

Is it possibly to remove and replace the bearings
without a
machine shop? There's a long waiting list at the local
shop.
The rear bearings seem to be more intricate than the
fronts.
Is it possible to seat that retaining ring by hammer?
And
to remove the race with a slide hammer/2 jaw puller
combo?

Biggest question of all - do the rear bearings get
packed
in grease or are they lubed by axle oil ? ?

Thanks much,
-Damon