Re: D44 rear bearing replacement

Morning Digesters,

<<    You need a machine shop to seat the new bearings on the axle shafts.
You can pull the old race out with a puller. The bearings are initially
lubed with grease, but; after install the axle lube keeps them lubed. >>

This was discussed quite some time ago, but to recap. IH used two different
types of bearings on the rear axles. One type had an inner seal between the
bearing and the  carrier, to keep oil from going from the carrier to the
bearing, which was packed in grease. The other type of bearing had no seal
and depended on the oil to lubricate it. If I remember correctly, the bearing
that got oil fed to it came apart like the typical front wheel bearing, and
the packed type bearing was one unit. I believe that you can only get the
greased type now, and is a number A10.

STeve