Petersen's 4 Wheel and Off-road JERKS

Hey, anybody else seen the June issue of Petersen's?  Just got it in the mail
today.

They have an article entitled "Best Beater Builders".  Well, I knew when I
saw this in the table of contents that it would most likely include
Scouts...and I was right.  What I find highly offensive is the tone of the
section regarding Scouts, and the fact that they referred to the Scout II as
a "low budget Bronco".

Excuse me?

The article goes on to gleefully tell you that you might want to find
yourself a Scout with an AMC 258, so you can easily swap in every Jeep
drivetrain part known to man.

The entire tone of the article is extremely annoying...kind of like "we know
these aren't as cool as Broncos or Jeeps, but they're cheaper and you can
even get rid of those nasty IH parts and replace them with all kinds of GOOD
stuff".  Rod Phillips was used as a source for this article, and I can only
assume that he wouldn't have been so willing to provide the info he did, had
he known how it would turn out.

None of the other "beaters" mentioned in this article got nearly the
stepchild treatment that the Scout did.

The Scout section ends with this: "Look out, Bronco---That Scout in your
mirror is gaining on you."

Pluh-leeze.

Stacey Muncie (MizMunce@domain.elided)

Secretary, Midwest Trail Runners Four Wheel Drive Club, Inc.
Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association 1998 Club of the Year
http://members.aol.com/MWTR/index.html

Membership Director, Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association
http://www.off-road.com/~ifwda/