RE: Petersen's 4 Wheel and Off-road JERKS

Stacey Muncie (MizMunce@domain.elided) wrote:
> What I find highly offensive is the tone of the section regarding
> Scouts, and the fact that they referred to the Scout II as a
> "low budget Bronco".

I think that this is a pattern with Petersen's.  In April or May they
discussed swaps, mentioned the NP205 forgot that it was in IHs, mentioned
the T-18, forgot about the T-19, screwed up a few other areas.  Mentioned
that they didn't have space to cover Scouts when talking about swaps (I
guess I can understand that).  Then they did their top 10 - and it was
pathetic.  Basically, it was a butt-kissing for the advertisers.  I wrote to
them:

I think your recent article titled "10 Coolest 4x4s of all time" was a
little overly ambitious.  You had the 70s Ford & Chevy 1/2 ton trucks, but
you missed the beefier IH equivelant.  You had the Hummer, but missed the
Unimog.  You had the Toyota FJ, but missed the Scout, Patrol, Land-Rover,
and old Bronco.  Completely missing was anything in the light truck
category.  Maybe you should have titled it "A Handful of Cool 4x4s Popular
with Our Readers".

The editor, Cole Quinnel was decent enough to write back, and said they were
planning on a Scout spring-over guide.  Is that in the June issue?  Not that
it matters much, most articles like that are so breezy that they are almost
worthless.

I think they started giving IH fans the brush off about a year ago when they
slightly reorganized, and decided to focus on where the bucks are
(advertisers).

Ken Farmer