Re: flacky pertronics?

Well I've already undertaken all the steps you suggest except one ( and
I have been wondering about that one all along). That is powering the
pertronics off full 12v instead of after the resistor.

Hmm. Are you saying the stock coil didn't have a ballast resistor. My
setup appears to be stock with one. When I had them look up the coil I
needed they gave me the borg-warner one I mentioned earlier and it had a
big sticker on it that said you must use with a ballast resistor. I even
measured the wire feeding the + side of the coil to make sure it was
appreciably under 12v (and I yes jiggled the balkhead connectors to
confirm they weren't acting as a resistor :) .  I also picked up what
was claimed to be the stock ballast resistor ( only $4 ) so I could make
a hot-wire jumper so I could hook the coil directly up to the battery to
confirm I wasn't getting some sort of intermittent short or open.

So in your recommendation #1 are you suggesting that I remove the
ballast from my current coil? I am guessing that his depends on the
internal coil resistance. What is considered low resistance and what is
considered high resistance. I will get the trusty multimeter out and
check it.

I will try step your recommendation #2 if I can ever get away for lunch.

I am tempted to rip the pertronics out. Build a little test bed and hook
it up to the $20K digital scope sitting next to me at work and get the
heat gun and big-ass lab power suppplies out and do some real testing.
Seems kind of excessive though I'm sure my co-workers and boss would get
a kick out of it.

Peace,
Eric

--
Eric Hegstrom                          .~.
Senior Software Engineer               /V\