Re: flacky pertronics?

Erick,
   I probable have the same set-up in Bad as you do. He is a 71, for
reference. When I started the mess involved in getting him finally
set-up right I replaced the entire ignition and fuel delivery system. I
had a couple of things that were broke.
   First off, I added a new distributer with points. Well, it was my
first excursion into points and I never could get them 'just right'.
(Including getting rapped a couple of times with steel feeler gauges
before buying brass ones!) This was prompted me to go with the
PerTronix.
   Before I initially started the wiring I read the manual. Actually I
did what you probable did, you scanned the manual and looked at the
diagrams. :-) I bought a new coil, the same one you got, and a new
resistor, and rewired the primary wiring.
   I found that first the solinoid was broke in that I wasn't getting my
12V at start-up, so I ran a new wire from the solinoid (which I
replaced) to the coil. Exactly as the manual says. Then I replaced the
wire from the bulkhead to the coil from the ignition switch, by way of
the resistor. Exactly as the manual says. Then, after reading the
manual, not looking at the pictures, I realised that the Scout
originally had a resistance wire from the ignition switch instead of the
resistor. But, since I replaced that wire I needed to use the resistor.
But, then I bought the PerTronix and didn't need the resistor.
   So, I rambled on about all that, to say this, I am running the stock
coil that says "Use External Coil" without one and 14 gauge wire from
the ignition switch to the coil, and 14 gauge wire from the S terminal
of the solinoid to the coil as well.
   If you have the resistor on there now, and didn't have one before you
probable had the resistance wire already installed and now have to low
voltage to the PerTronix. Bypass the resistor and see how it runs.

_____Dan Nees_____
cookiedan@domain.elided

Good, getting a new heart.
Bad, growing UP.
Ugly, about to under go complete reconstructive surgery.

http://www.triplediamond.org