Stereo Install

Michael,
   I installed stereo components for a while before joining the Navy.  IMHO,
there is no better security than a good disguise.  The thief to worry the
most about is he/she who makes a living at it.  They are efficient.  If
there are other cars around yours, they will scout (pun DEFIANTLY intended)
for the most return/easiest job for their time.  If your vehicle's sound
system does not interest them, it's not worth their time.
    There is plenty of room to install a stereo in a location that is
accessible by RF remote (I/R gets blocked by metal).  Behind the dash,
inside seat mounts, a box bolted to the floor.  Build a stout box with the
dimensions of a case of oil.  Mount the components and cooling fans iside
the metal, cover with a scruffy cardboard oil case.  If I can legally get
rid of the vent system above my gas tank that's where my amp would go.
Others have made their own. CD changers can be controlled by the head
unit/remote.  The biggest problem to hide is the speakers.  I plan on
installing a Bose AM-5 set in my T'all.  Reason:  Those cube speakers are
easy to miss, and the sub-woofer can be disguised to look like just about
anything.  Toss a couple of cheap (sub-$20) box speakers and a junk in-dash
(with knobs and ANALOG dial!) and most thieves will stroll right by.
    Of course there are a couple of other things to keep in mind.  Don't
"jam" in your neighborhood.  If you are away from home, wheeling, or on the
freeway let 'em rip.  Shut it down around home and you won't be known to
have a great system.  Don't install the system in your driveway.  That's
like leaving a trail of crumbs back to the bread store.  If you install an
alarm, don't use a "bump" sensor.  Thieves will test for an alarm.  If they
really want your system it will only require a spike through your fender
into the battery to disable your alarm.  Do install a power buss inside your
cab.  Run dedicated lines directly to the battery from a hi-amp buss.  Do
use the biggest cables for signal you can afford with quality connectors and
a good crimper.
    Last, think real hard before installing "active" defense measures like
razor blades, spikes, electrical charges (capacitate and on-board welders).
I nearly went to prison in Whales for booby trapping a glove box with a
small fire extinguisher.  Seems the would be thief saw a white cloud
screaming at him an inhaled sharply in fear.  Sucking in a lungfull  of CO2
greatly diminished his ability to exchange oxygen in his lungs.  A search of
his flat revealed about 40 tapes with my name on them, and an expensive head
unit that had my SSN engraved on it.  I was still judged in the wrong,
ordered to pay restitution, and PNG'd from the country.  I still think I did
a public service; he will NEVER be able to run away from the cops.  Sorry -
rant mode off

    Well, hope this helps.  If you have any questions, e-mail off-digest and
I'll be happy to help.  This is about the only area I feel comfortable
contributing to, so ask away.