headache X 5 (speed)

Well, my 5 speed is sure giving me a headache.  While some
of you were enjoying Tulare, I was installing it after replacing the
synchros and some gears.  Went for a drive Sunday, but it still
didn't go into 3rd very well.  I ended up pulling it out again,and
found that the 2nd gear synchro ring had been totally fried and
worn out.

Well, I got another new synchro, and have been trying to figure
out why it ate the previous one (in about 100 miles).  It turns out
that the new synchro doesn't sit down into 2nd gear as much as the
original, so it makes it effectively "taller" than the original.  So tall
in fact, that it will continuously rub the ring against 2nd gear.
When I installed the first one, I just thought that tightness was due to
it being brand new.  With the second new one, I can't even get the snap
rings on third gear because the synchro won't allow it to go on far
enough.  The synchronizers I have are the "Perfection" brand.
Short of original IHC, are there any other vendors for these?  I checked
on getting an original, it was about $230 for JUST the synchro between
2nd and 3rd gears.  The Perfection units are about $53, but if they
don't work...  I can't use my original becase one of the springs
is broken.

If I can't figure this out, I may end up tossing the automatic back in.
It is truly depressing.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup