Re: CV Joints

>Will a 84 Grand
>Wagoneer cv joints bolt to IH 3/4 ton running gear (Dana 44 front and dana
>60 rear with NP205 T/C).  I have cut and welded driveshafts to length
>before.(yes I get them professionally balanced)

Rik:
  Hey, can I ever help you out!  I just happen to OWN an 84GW.  Er, my
wife does.  I just get to work on it.  I will measure the u-joints, etc.
today
and then send/post the results.  It has a D44 in front, and a AMC 20
with one piece rear axles (unlike baby jeeps wit hthe AMC 20).  Later
models, like a 87 or 88, started using D44s front and rear.

I will warn you, the front driveline on that thing looks like "Angel hair
pasta"
compared to my front driveline in my 72 3/4 ton.  It is only about 2" dia,
as opposed to (as I recall) 3-1/2" dia on the IHC.  So you might end up
with no vibration until you turn it into a pretzel.

A suggestion that everyone can use, next time your driveline is out, clean
it
off, and get a mark-all paint pen (or similar) and paint a straight line
down the driveline.  Down the road, after 4 wheelin, you can easily tell if
you
have applied any twist.  Once that happens, it could easily fail next time
you go wheelin.  Change it before you break it on the trail.

Rik, if you make it to NWBRU, maybe you can explain the driveline cut
and welding procedure to me.  I can see how that could result in some
serious $ savings if all you do is have it balanced.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup