rear quarters/busted axles/big rigs

>I just want to note that I can get you metal quarters from Scout/Light
>Line for $150 each plus $75 for the end caps (or $450 for a complete
>pair) or fiberglass with integral end caps for $399 per pair, plus
>shipping for either.

Good info and thanks for the tip to avoid the JCW parts.

>Has anyone ever broken a semi-floater while towing? My Traveleall has
>a semi-floating dana 60 (30 spline), and I plan to flat tow my Scout
>in the near term, and trailer it eventually. Should I be keeping my
>eyes open for a set of 3/4 ton axles? Does anyone have a 30 spline
>5 bolt travelall axle I could buy to carry as a spare?

I spoke to the fellow with the lovely turquoise and white '68 T-all at
Tulare a couple of years ago. That truck broke a 44 rear axle shaft with a
medium size travel trailer in tow at one point. Besides the inconvenience
and spoiled vacation, there was extensive damage to the bottom of the rear
overhang on that side. Not a common failure, and I'll confess to being
paranoid about such things, but like I said....better safe than sorry ;)

>Anyway, he said that when you go
>above the 1 ton into the F550s and so on, that the taxes and insurance
>take a big jump and become a lot more expensive. Anyone here have one
>of the larger binders? Have you experienced this? Just curious about
>the feasibility of a heavier truck as an occasional tow rig.

Exactly the dillema I have over the 2 Loadstars that are saved for me(one's
even  'Binder' 1600 :)). CA's weight fees are through the roof, and I need
to get a license upgrade to be legal. Heck, my '60 B-102 p/u has a
commercial plate for some stupid reason(GVW of 5200 lbs, go figure...) and
the weight fee is something like $30! I have an acquaintance that told me
keeping his 10 wheeler Pete and 30' lowboy trailer on the road costs about
$12,000 / year in license, road taxes and insurance. In CA your other
option is to get a historical vehicle plate. That gets you out of weight
fees, but you still need the drivers license to match the vehicle, and its
'supposed' to be a limited use deal. How much of a problem the use
restrictions are would prob. depend on the attitude of the local gendarmes...

Jim