Re: Pertronix

At a recent NATO press briefing, "Mike Stenstrom"
<stenstm@domain.elided> was heard threatening Yugoslav President
Slobodan Milosevic...

>   When I wired the module to the coil, I noticed a condenser looking
>component on the coil and wired to the positive side of the coil.  Since
>there were no shortage of warnings in the instructions and I could not find
>this thing in my diagrams, I left it off.  I'm guessing it's an RF
>suppressor.  Anybody else have this setup?

As Tom Mandera suggested... it's probably best to leave this off.  When
installing and MSD, your positively cautioned to *not* connect any such radio
suppression devices to the coil.  I'm not sure if the same thing applies to
the Pertronix, but it's probably better to be cautious and leave it off... or
call them to verify what to do.  You do not *need* this condenser, although
you might possibly have slightly more radio interference without it.

>   Last item.  When I warmed up the Scout, my ammeter stayed slightly into
>the charge side.  Is this because of the draw from the positive power lead
>from coil to Igniter?  I'm only talking a change equivalent to the width of
>the needle in the ammeter, but in the two years I've owned this truck the
>needle NEVER moves from dead center.  Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

The ammeter showing a charge immediately after starting is perfectly normal.
It's telling you that the alternator is recharging the battery after it was
partially discharged from running the starter.  The ammeter should show a
charge of some degree until the battery comes back up to full charge, and then
it should usually be neutral.  If you didn't change any of the other wiring,
than I don't have any explanation as to why the ammeter would not show a
charge after starting, and then all of a sudden it does.  I can't imagine that
the Pertronix in and of itself would cause the change.  It's current draw has
to be negligible.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |