Pertronix

IH All,
  I put in my Pertronix igniter yesterday.  It's the first mod to my Scout
that was as easy as everyone promised.
(I'm a REAL novice wrench!)  I barely touch the key to start now!  Not
*that* much more power.  To test the running theory that Pertronix alone
won't make much difference in fuel economy, I'm not changing the other
components like rotor, cap wires or plugs.  I'll time and play with the
dwell just to make sure they are correct.  9.4 MPG was the magic number on
the trip to Tri-cities (450 miles round trip).  I will run three or four
tanks and then change out the rest of the components.  After that I want to
replace the coil with a Pertronix coil and try to get the plug gap to .045.
I'll post the results in a week or so.
   When I wired the module to the coil, I noticed a condenser looking
component on the coil and wired to the positive side of the coil.  Since
there were no shortage of warnings in the instructions and I could not find
this thing in my diagrams, I left it off.  I'm guessing it's an RF
suppressor.  Anybody else have this setup?
   Last item.  When I warmed up the Scout, my ammeter stayed slightly into
the charge side.  Is this because of the draw from the positive power lead
from coil to Igniter?  I'm only talking a change equivalent to the width of
the needle in the ammeter, but in the two years I've owned this truck the
needle NEVER moves from dead center.  Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Mike Stenstrom
stenmnr@domain.elided
stenstm@domain.elided