Re: Tom has a new Travelall Project

Tom:

Since I have owned a '72 Travelall for 10 years now here it is: The rear
fuel tank can be accessed from inside the truck (you remove the panel
that looks like where the spare tire goes on the other side).

Since the fuel tanks have been sitting there is a good chance of rust.
What happened in my '72 Travelall is I didn't use the rear tank for a
couple of years and then filled it with premium and it was so rusty I
had to replace the whole thing as well as the many filters it took to
run the tank of gas out.

What is worse is the O-rings in the tank selector switch had rotted out
so the dirty stuff in the rear tank siphoned into the front tank (yuk!).
I have replaced the rear tank (filter is clear as glass) and the o-rings
in the tank selector switch. Unfortuntely the front (under the truck)
tank is still spitting crap out from when it siphoned from the rear
tank. I tried to remove the front tank to clean it out (steam and/or
muriatic acid - maybe the liner from Eastwood) since I don't think it
had a real rust problem just crud. Unfortunately for me the nut that the
reataining strap screws into just freely spins inside the body.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace,
Eric

--
Eric Hegstrom                          .~.
Senior Software Engineer               /V\