Re: Tom's new Travelall project

Farmer wrote:

> <Tom's thoughts removed for the sake of Richard's server> ;-)
>
> Hmmm, you must have gotten that dictation software working!

LOL.  72wpm.. the dictation software can't keep up!

> I have a 392/3.73/727/30" tire set up on my '74.  It has a ton of
> on it, it seems *tight*.  But, while pulling my 3500 lb camper up
> mountain passes I find myself slowing down to 35-40 mph.  That's
> probably not so bad.  But, with a 345, you'll probably find yourself

Ick.  I was just running the numbers, and remembering my '72 Scout -
with the 304/3.73/29s or 31s, top end was 80mph or so.. at the rated
redline, anyhow.  Going down to 4.10s seemed like I might be "screaming"
a lot.. (Y'know, I've never driven a 345 equipped vehicle..)

> slowing down further.  And, your ultimate ambitions sound like they
> would really require more torque than that combination produces.

So the 4.10s wouldn't be overkill is what I'm hearing.  That's good.

> safe assumption), then I'd go with either the 392 or the 4.09s.

How about both? <VBG>

> On the other hand, you will probably have some more urgent demands
> for money - radiator? wheel bearings? brakes? etc.  I'd focus on
> those issues first - since the combo you have will work for 3500
> lbs.

Right.  That's what I was wanting to hear.  "As-is is fine for the
3500lbs racer" and I'll deal with the upgrades when I have the cash to
worry about buying a big trailer, or when necessity says it's time
(Like, the brakes are shot on the rear dana 44.. sounds like a good time
for the '60) ;)

> Of course, you could always put that rear 60 in, and just
> use it 4x2 for a while.  Heck, it's a tower, you don't *really*
> need 4x4 that badly.

Unless, of course, the racing "camp" is in the mud (as I hear it often
is).. or maybe if I put the T'all into the mud bog for kicks.. then
again, two different ratios would be pretty cool then..

I figure the T'all would also pull winter transportation duty.. open
diffs on both end should make for a more streetable snow rig..

-Tom