RE: Tom's new Travelall project

Tom wrote:
> Ick.  I was just running the numbers, and remembering my '72 Scout -
> with the 304/3.73/29s or 31s, top end was 80mph or so.. at the rated
> redline, anyhow.  Going down to 4.10s seemed like I might be "screaming"
> a lot.. (Y'know, I've never driven a 345 equipped vehicle..)

Sure, your effective top end will drop 10%.  I don't that this will
be an easy restriction for you to live with! ;-)  Then again, what size
tires do you want to have?  A big supply of free/cheap 235s sounds
attractive - especially if you drive it a lot.  On the other hand, if
you ever upgraded the motor, you could then simply get bigger tires to
overcome that rpm (and gas mileage!) problem.

> > safe assumption), then I'd go with either the 392 or the 4.09s.
>
> How about both? <VBG>

LOL!  What a scenario I am imagining:  Tom with a built 392, trying to
figure out which vehicle to install it in! ;-)

> Right.  That's what I was wanting to hear.  "As-is is fine for the
> 3500lbs racer" and I'll deal with the upgrades when I have the cash to
> worry about buying a big trailer, or when necessity says it's time
> (Like, the brakes are shot on the rear dana 44.. sounds like a good time
> for the '60) ;)

Assuming that your 345 is in equivilent condition to my 392, that sounds
like a safe assumption.  Mine is probably in about typical shape, for a
160k mile worker.  Of course, if yours is really worn, maybe you could
help it out by dropping to some 25" tires along with that 4.09 ratio!
You won't get there fast, but you'll get there strong.

> I figure the T'all would also pull winter transportation duty.. open
> diffs on both end should make for a more streetable snow rig..

True, but don't forget about the mileage.  You could end up saving money
by driving your scout.  I get around 25-35% better mileage in the city
in my scout than I do in my Travelall.  Of course, my travelall isn't
quite as carefully tuned & worked out as my Scout is.  I've gotten as
high as 14 mpg on long highway trips in it, but the average city
mileage used to be around 8.  But the last time I drove it, the mileage
was something like 4!  Hmmm, I told Jen to take it in, I wonder if
she ever did, or if she's pouring money down the filler neck?  Arg.

Ken