Re: Tom's new Travelall project

>Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:04:51 -0600
>From: Farmer <pharmer@domain.elided>
>Subject: RE: Tom's new Travelall project

>Note that a lot of our vendors are begining to provide steel for Travelall
>and PU body parts.  You can't get the rear quarter panels yet, but on the
>other hand, if you get ahold of some front quarter panels, you can reuse
>the pressed out wheel opening to save big fabrication dollars.
Are you saying that a front fender could be used as a rear fender
patch? The wheel openings are the same?

>Drums are both expensive & hard to find.  Although I've been told that
>the drums GUS has will fit, and they aren't priced bad.
I was looking at mine, and it looks like the axle flange is the same
as the Scout. I've got one bad drum, and I'm thinking that a TSM rear
disk kit might be a better buy than replacing drums (if TSM EVER gets a
supply of rotors for their kit!).

>I have a 392/3.73/727/30" tire set up on my '74.  It has a ton of
>power in town, and is a lot of fun to drive.  With the new suspension
>on it, it seems *tight*.  But, while pulling my 3500 lb camper up
>mountain passes I find myself slowing down to 35-40 mph.  That's
>probably not so bad.  But, with a 345, you'll probably find yourself
>slowing down further.  And, your ultimate ambitions sound like they
>would really require more torque than that combination produces.

Just as another data point, my '75 has 392/3.73s/727/32" tires, and
when I moved from CO to CA towing a roughly 2500 lb. trailer, if I
kept the momentum up, it would maintain 65 up the hills. If I lost
momentum it would slow down to about 50.

   rcleavin@domain.elided  San Diego, CA
   Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
   Scouts West: http://www.scoutswest.com
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150