RE: Tom's new Travelall project

Curt wrote:
> Are you saying that a front fender could be used as a rear fender
> patch? The wheel openings are the same?

The wheel openings are close enough that nobody would notice.  However,
you still probably need to bend some steel to replace the area that
trails the lower edge of the wheel opening.  That area typically rusts
and won't be in the front fender.  Since I'll have having a good body
shop custom fab the rear quarterpanels, this opening saves me almost
all of the cost.  Front fenders seem relatively plentiful compared to
rear quarters - the fronts never rust.  BTW, this is why I was
interested in picking up that front fender of yours.  I hope you
didn't have a more urgent need than I do!

> ...I'm thinking that a TSM rear
> disk kit might be a better buy than replacing drums (if TSM EVER gets a
> supply of rotors for their kit!).

What?  I thought they used some kind of standard stuff, like a cadillac
rotor or something.  And to think, I've been eagerly awaiting my rear
drums to go on my Travelall!

> Just as another data point, my '75 has 392/3.73s/727/32" tires, and
> when I moved from CO to CA towing a roughly 2500 lb. trailer, if I
> kept the momentum up, it would maintain 65 up the hills. If I lost
> momentum it would slow down to about 50.

Hmmm, is that after your recent rebuild?  I'm thinking that my engine
with its relatively poor compression, probably doesn't have the torque
of a newer engine.

Ken Farmer