A few last questions before installation

Harvesters:

I'm going to install the 392E I finished rebuilding today into my Traveler.
I must acknowledge the help of those who assisted me in this:  First the
whole listserver group, and John Landry's good advice, and most of all Curt
Cleavinger, who donated two pistons and rods for the price of shipping.

Now some questions.  I know most of them have been answered, but I haven't
been able to nail them down in the digests.

1.  I've got #8 at the top of it's travel, and the TC mark on the flywheel
pulley is at the "0" mark on the indicator on the timing gear cover.  The
guys who disassembled the engine for me and cleaned it didn't mark the #8
position on the distributor.
    a.  How do I tell if I'm on TDC for the compression stroke versus the
exhaust stroke?  I did feel pressure build up with my finger over the spark
plug hole when cranking the engine around.  So, this was the
compression/timing stroke, right?
    b.  How do I best position the rotor on the distributor so that when I
drop it in the hole it is pointed right?

2.  Where does one get the adapter for turning the oil pump through the
distributor hole to pre lube the engine?  I don't think I could possibly
turn it fast enough with just a screwdriver :-)

3.  Has anyone had any experience with putting plugs into the intake
manifold where the temperature controlled vacuum valves go?  I'm sure they
don't work, can't find new ones, and don't have an emissions test (or safety
inspection for that matter) in this state (South Carolina).

4.  Has anyone noticed how damn heavy one of these engines are?

Thanks for your help guys.  I'll let you know when it runs.

Roger Scow
Beaufort, SC
'78 Traveler/392E/727