Re: A few last questions before installation

Roger:

> 1.  I've got #8 at the top of it's travel, and the TC mark on the flywheel
> pulley is at the "0" mark on the indicator on the timing gear cover.  The
> guys who disassembled the engine for me and cleaned it didn't mark the #8
> position on the distributor.
>     a.  How do I tell if I'm on TDC for the compression stroke versus the
> exhaust stroke?  I did feel pressure build up with my finger over the
spark
> plug hole when cranking the engine around.  So, this was the
> compression/timing stroke, right?

Probably. Check the valves at the rockers. Are they both "up" as in closed
to maintain compression? If one is partially open, your on the exhaust
stroke. On the compression stroke, both valves are closed with the piston
coming up and the exhaust valve begins to open as the piston goes past TDC
and gets down around the bottom of it's stroke.

>     b.  How do I best position the rotor on the distributor so that when I
> drop it in the hole it is pointed right?

Put #1 cylinder at TDC on compression stroke. Point rotor at #1 plug on
distributor cap (it is usually marked). Slide the puppy in so the vacuum
advance is pointing approximately where it did before you took it out. Then,
slightly rotate shaft left or right until teeth engage.

By the way, in the future, before you pull a distributor, mark the base and
the hole in the intake where it goes with a line. Then when you reassemble,
you just "line" up the line on each piece.

> 2.  Where does one get the adapter for turning the oil pump through the
> distributor hole to pre lube the engine?  I don't think I could possibly
> turn it fast enough with just a screwdriver :-)

No adapter. Most of us just chuck a long screw driver blade that fits, into
a slow, or variable speed drill and turn it slowly this way.

> 3.  Has anyone had any experience with putting plugs into the intake
> manifold where the temperature controlled vacuum valves go?  I'm sure they
> don't work, can't find new ones, and don't have an emissions test (or
safety
> inspection for that matter) in this state (South Carolina).

Pull the temp control vacuum swithes out and take them with you to find
plugs of that size and thread. It's pretty standard. Or, leave the temp
controlled vacuum switches in, but don't hook them up.

> 4.  Has anyone noticed how damn heavy one of these engines are?

Yes. Way more than those those non-truck Chevy, Ford and Chrysler's - big or
small block. Can you say, "Heavy duty"?

Tom H.