Re: Going to war

Doug,

I was in college from 64-68.  I remember Viet Nam very well.  The
parallels are chilling.  I always hoped that LBJ suffered a lot before he
died.  Sorry 'bout that.

Barbara Tuchman, a serious historian, wrote a book called "In Pursuit of
Folly" in which she examines some of the stupidist things that humans have
done.  In order to get on her list there is a really difficult set of
criteria to meet.  She has five situations she examines in the book.  One
of them is the US in Viet Nam.  If you aren't just livid by the time you
finish this chapter you must be dead.  The sad thing is that Ms. Tuchman
was noted for her careful and detailed research.

There has been nothing but constant war in that region (Yugoslavia, etc.1)
for 2000 years.  The only peace they knew was a Russian boot on their
throats.  Right now the Serbs are on top.  Some years ago the situation
was reversed.  I really have no sympathy for either side.  If the Kosivars
had a chance they would cleanse the region of the serbs.  I sometimes
think that they believe the only reason God put them on earth is to kill
the other group, pick your own sides/groups.

Getting our troops killed over there will not solve a thing.  Somebody
write this down and see if I'm right in 8 or 10 years when we turn tail
and leave.  Sort of like Viet Nam.  The day we walk out is the day they
will begin killing.

BTW has anyone noticed that it is being reported by news services in
Europe (serious ones) that Sadam Hussein and Milosevic [I can't spell]
have probably signed an agreement.  SH has already sent advisers to
Yougoslavia to instruct the Serbs on what the Iraqis know about out
bombing techniques.  Our illustrious Commander has got himself into a
situation where he is allowing the enemy to dictate the tempo of
operations and pretty much what the operations are.  Lots of good folks
are going to pay for this incompetence with their lives.

Coward in Chief, amen!

Somebody,  show me where I'm wrong.  I'd really really really like to be
in this case.

Rant mode off

Steve
Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776