Front '60 swaps

John Fleck wrote:
> Also I found a Dana 60 Front and a Dana 60 rear that I am looking at buying
> for my 35 inch tire runnen off road rig. Anyone see a problem with using a
> Dana 60 front axle? It will need the axles and brakes but its a housing and
> gears out of a Chevy or Dodge I The owner thinks. He has a Dana 70 rear but

Does the Chevy Dana 60 use flat-top knuckles like the Dana 44s did?  I
believe the Chevy '60 would swap right in to the front of a Scout II -
just like the Chevy '44 front does.  You'd still need to fabricate a
custom cross-over steering setup, and notch the spring perches for the
narrower 2" wide Scout II springs.. but it's an easy swap.

I'm not sure how you intend to use a Ford reverse cut '44 front axle..
it's a left-drop setup.  Sure, drop a Bronco Dana 20 or Ford '205 behind
your T19, and you get a left drop.. but what about the clutch linkage
(relay) that runs on the driver's side of the transmission bellhousing?

Other choice is to yank the axle tubes from the Dana 44 center section
and swap 'em side to side to build a reverse cut '44 Scout II right-drop
axle.

Benefit of the Chevy full-size swap - you can turn 35" tires more before
they hit the springs.  OTOH, that might also be an advantage of a
coil-over setup if you moved the 4-link or radius arms inboard a bit.

As soon as I get my taxes done and a term paper started n' finished (due
Wed) I'll be back out in the driveway getting the racer closer to
ready.. the 4.88s and custom steering stuff should be here any day...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scouto