RE: Is my tranny ok?

Jim,

My '75 Travelall 150 with a 727 does the exact same thing.  I spoke to a
couple of tranny shops, and all they could tell me was that it's a really
tough transmission, and to drive it until it dies.  Then I saw on Jim
Maulis' web site (Scout Pro), a device that he sells to fix this for $10 or
$15.  I spoke to him about it, and he said that a seal gets worn and allows
the oil to leak into the circulating line.  Since the oil won't be
recirculated while in park, it just kind of sits there with no power until
you put it in gear.  If you want it to move quicker you can just put it in
neutral  - since that will circulate the oil.  The device he sells is some
kind of one-way valve, I think, and he said that it could be installed in
about ten minutes.

Here's his url: http://members.xoom.com/scoutpro/scoutpro.htm

All the standard disclaimers apply: I have no affiliation, etc, although
I've hired him to do work, and am very impressed with the quality.

Ken Farmer
1975 Travelall 150  140,000 miles, 392, 727, IFS, etc
1974 Travelall 100  180,000 miles, 392, 727 (no probs yet), etc
1980 Scout II       180,000 miles, 304, T-19 (worn synchros), etc