Is my tranny ok?

When my '73 1010 Travelall with a 727 sits for a week or so, the tranny
gets lazy.  When I first start it up and put it in gear (either drive or
reverse), there's no action for about 15 seconds.  Eventually, with some
revs, I get some action.  A block down the road everything is normal.
Its been like this ever since I bought it about 15k miles ago, and I've
used it to pull very heavy (4+ tons!) trailers.  It has a tranny cooler,
and I'm good at keeping the fluid up.  I had the filter service about
10k miles ago.  Once its warmed up, response is immediate, just like in
a new car.

Is this normal behavior?  Is it just the fluid pooling?

Jim Camery
'73 Travelall
'68 Travelall
'73 VW Convert