Re: Auto to 4-speed conversion

Howard R Pletcher wrote:
> Tom's advice on the bellhousings being interchangable is correct.  But
> I'm not sure whether the parts truck drive shafts will work or not--only
> if the 3 and 4 speeds are the same length, which I don't know the answer
> to, but I'd expect the 4 speed to be a little larger.

I believe they are.  I never gave a lot of thought to it.. I've been
running my T19 with T15 driveshafts (two different rears) for the last
year with no ill effect.

The T15 *is* a smaller n' shorter transmission.  Look at it and you
notice (like the 727) the transmission mount is "angled".. it comes
rearward to engage the crossmember.  The transfer case adapter is longer
as well, which puts the Dana 20 in a particular spot.  The T19 is a
longer transmission, and the transmission mount studs run directly
through the mount and into the T19 - no adapters or bends or angles.
Just straight in there.  The transfer case adapter is much shorter than
on the T15 - which I believe makes the transfer case reside in the same
location whether behind a 3spd or 4spd = same driveshaft lengths.

Now, if we change the motor to a Nissan diesel, I have no clue.  But, my
vote is that the driveshafts from an IH motored Scout II with a 3 or
4spd transmission are interchangeable.  (dunno on the 6cyl, either).