Re: Auto to 4-speed conversion

>On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Greg Hermann wrote:
>
>> Has anybody established for sure that the bob weights on 266/304/345/392
>> flywheels are all the same balance weight????? For instance, if 345 and 392
>> are the SAME crank, I would expect the bob weights on the balancer and
>> flywheel to be different on account of different piston weights---but I
>> have never checked this detail out thoroughly!!
>
>I don't know.  I was "told" they're interchangeable..
>
>I know the 196 and the 304 flywheels are NOT interchangeable.. that much
>I can personally confirm.

Well--a 152/196 flywheel is neutrally balanced, so it would be a serious
problem on a V-8, even if you did drill for the extra bolts.

I had thought of machining out the 196
>flywheel for the extra two studs.. but then John Comer said, "nope"
>because of the external balance..
>

>I think Howard Pletcher said the flexplates for 304/345/392 were the same
>(or could be the same.  Might've been HD variations as well)

Gonna LOOK the same, question is as to the bob weights. Same question
applies to the harmonic balancer at the front----

(I do KNOW that the 266/304 uses a weighted front pulley, and the 345/392
uses a weighted pulley WITH a torsional damper, but again am not sure
whether the bob weights have different values.) Does a 266 even USE bob
weights? They might be internally balanced!

Greg