Re: Auto to 4-speed conversion

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Scott Machalk wrote:

> >Yes.  10", 11", and 12" clutches.. (13" in the big trucks?).  Most
>
> So it seems I should be able to use the flywheel out of the Parts truck.
> Clutch too? Is it worth my while looking for one of the flywheels that are
> drilled for the bigger clutches? Are any of these better than the others?

Should be able to use 'em from the parts truck.  Bigger? *shrug*  I'm
running a 10" clutch behind my 304.. so far so well.

> >Maybe.  You *should*.  The 727 has a 1" shorter rear 'shaft and 1" longer
> >front driveshaft.<snip>
>
> Ok, then the shafts out of the parts truck would work here too?

Yep.

> >Break that "ball stud"'s plastic covering off on the driver's side of the
> >frame. ;)
> >
> You lost me there.

If you look on the parts truck, there's a horizontal shaft to the
driver's side of the transmission bellhousing.  One end is attached to
the transmission via a ball stud bolted to the "ear" on the bellhousing.

The other end is "attached" (bushing'd) to a ball-stud that's welded to a
piece of plate that's welded to the frame.  Look on the parts truck n'
you'll see it.  Now look on your 727 equipped Scout.  The ball is there -
but there's a catch!  There's a plastic covering on it.. use a pair of
Channel locks or another appropriate device to "crack" the plastic cover
off and break it apart.  The plastic/nylon bushings that are supposed to
go over the ball and then slide into the horizontal hollow tube (pivot
point) won't go over the plastic covering.

Not a big thing.. it was almost entirely tongue-in-cheek. ;-)

-Tom