Re: Panhard rod

At 11:56 AM 4/8/99 -0600, Tom Mandera wrote:
>One of these days I'll have to plunk down a few bucks for those books
>Richard mentioned.. things like link-length and such are all important
>factors.

you should probably go for the books sooner rather than later, given the
complexity of the work you're preparing to do.

Puhn is a good start, and reasonably inexpensive. the other end of the
scale, Milliken & Milliken, is a wonderful book, but it's expensive and
intended for gearheads who are also degreed engineers.

Carroll Smith is a good middle ground; sound books from one of the best
race engineers in the country, talking about the realities of race car
construction  he focuses on 4 link suspension designs because those are the
"truest" race car designs, but even if you don't have such a car -- my ITB
car is 4 link in front, dead axle in the rear, and i rent formula vees from
time to time that have type 1 vw bug front suspensions and modified type 1
bug rear suspensions -- you can learn a lot about suspension geometry from
Smith.

richard