Re: Panhard rod

Richard Welty wrote:

> you should probably go for the books sooner rather than later, given the
> complexity of the work you're preparing to do.
> bug rear suspensions -- you can learn a lot about suspension geometry from
> Smith.

Sounds good.. but the big question is - do the books cater to JUST flat
trackers or is there anything about long-travel twisty suspensions?  My
racer doesn't need twist but it needs travel (soaking up the impact of a
750lbs engine).  My off-road rigs want twist *and* travel.

I've thumbed through more than a few race chassis guides at the auto
parts store.. they sing the praises of IFS and lots of locating rods and
zero suspension travel - for flat, hard cornering w/ no-body-roll
stock-car style racing.

Pretty shallow in the 3/4 eliptical and 1/4 eliptical suspensions.. and
while I did note some stuff on coil-over setups, again - nothing on long
travel.

NASCAR doesn't want/need to lift a tire 3' while the others are
planted.  That's just for us slow-crazies. ;-)

Thanks, Richard.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
I quit the degreed engineer bit when I took this job.. in a town w/o an
engineering school...