Re: Panhard rod

Tom Harais wrote:
> With this design the up and down movement of the differential results in NO
> SIDE movement of the differential. The diff is "fixed" in place from side
> to side.
> The attachements I've seen were "cages" set up that mounted between the
> diff cover and diff using the existing bolt holes and two gaskets (one

I've thought of a secondary cover that goes on *OVER* the diff cover as
a sturdy attachment point for a double-V 4-link.

If I'm going to go through the trouble of a locating system for the rear
end to eliminate body sway... (I think I want a fairly flat suspension
for cornering with this spring-over truck.  Single wheel articulation
isn't an issue, but full suspension travel *together* is.. like when you
land a jump)..

How about a 4-link that would eliminate any axle wrap I'm likely to see
with 4.88 gears and a flat-shot-spring spring-over.

A 4-link location system would eliminate wheel hop and should rule out
any sway since 4 steel rods would be locating the rear axle fore/aft and
side to side.

If I'm going to go through the bother... might as well do a little more
work and go whole hog, right? ;-)

One of these days I'll have to plunk down a few bucks for those books
Richard mentioned.. things like link-length and such are all important
factors.

(of course, if I go this far.. some will wonder - why not coil-overs,
Tom?.. I think there's something in a race rules books that I read (for
some sanctioning body I might someday have fun with) that says something
about retaining the "stock suspension concept" or some such.. I think it
was SCORE that had that.. i.e. if it's leaf sprung, it remains leaf
sprung.. but you can "trick it out" so long as it's still leaf sprung.)

-Tom "I'll stick with NO locating links for now and just let the leaves
do their job" Mandera