Re:Tapered Axle Shafts & brake parts

Message text written by Tom Mandera
>If the driver's side has play, I guess I need to adjust the big adjusting
nut on the passenger side.  I've been told ~150-ft-lbs of torque.. but I
have no idea how to get ANY wrench on this big nut - is there a special
tool that lets me in between the axle flange and the drum hardware?<

Tom,

  From what you're saying this is not the same as the tapered axle D44 used
in the 800's.  The 800's use a shim pack which is retained by the brake
backing plate.  The nut with the 150 ft-lbs torque that I mentioned is the
one that holds the wheel mount flange onto the tapered end of the axle.

  Your setup sounds completely different.

Doug