Re: Tapered Axle Shafts & brake parts

>Message text written by Tom Mandera
>>If the driver's side has play, I guess I need to adjust the big adjustin=
>g =
>
>nut on the passenger side.  I've been told ~150-ft-lbs of torque.. but I =
>
>have no idea how to get ANY wrench on this big nut - is there a special =
>
>tool that lets me in between the axle flange and the drum hardware?<
>
>Tom,

I have these big nuts on my p'up with IH built axles.  No luck finding a
wrench.  Needs to be big, 2 1/2" I think, yet thin walled or it won't fit in
the recess.  Specific axle wrenches I've seen at the car parts stores top out
at 2 1/4", and sockets this size are too thick and about $40.  Ended up just
using Channel Locks.  I think we are talking about the same thing.  Two big
thin nuts with a bend-the-tab washer between them?  Adjust the play with the
inner nut, secure with tabs, lock with outer bolt?  I would like a real tool
for this, any clues would be appreciated.
Dennis Millward